- 1 sheet puff pastry
- 1 sheet shortcrust pastry
- 1/2 cup cornflour
- 1/2 cup custard powder
- 1/2 cup castor sugar
- 600ml full cream milk
- 2tsp vanilla extract
- 300ml thickened cream
- 2 egg yolks - beaten with a fork
- icing sugar
- Line a 20cm square baking tin with baking powder and set aside.
- Preheat your oven to 190c. Place on two separately lined trays, the frozen pastry sheets. Bake these in the oven for about 7 minutes or until lightly golden brown. Remove from the oven and immediately press down the pastries to flatten them slightly. Do this using a tea towel to protect your hands.
- Once cooled, trim the pastry sheets to size (using a bread knife) so that they fit into the baking tin. Place the sheet of shortcrust pastry in the bottom of the tin.
- Spread out the cooled custard onto the pastry and place the puff pastry on top. Dust liberally with icing sugar.
- Place cornflour, custard powder and sugar into a saucepan. Whisk or stir to combine.
- Gradually add the milk and mix until smooth and free of lumps - using a whisk.
- Add the vanilla and cream. Stir until combined.
- Stir over a low heat until the custard comes to a boil and thickens.
- Add butter and simmer, uncovered, for 3 minutes, stirring continuously.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the egg yolks. Mix well.
- Place the custard into a bowl and cover with cling wrap. Place the wrap directly onto the custard, this stops a skin forming on top.
- Once cool, beat well and then use to fill the Vanilla Slice.