|Happy Birthday to Me!!|
- 2c + 3/4 c plain flour
- 1 tbsp * + 1 1/2 tsp baking powder (27.5ml)
- 250g softened butter
- 2c vanilla castor sugar **
- 4 large eggs (room temperature)
- 1c milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
MethodPreheat oven to 180c (160c fan-forced).
Line 24 muffin tins with paper cases (this recipe can make up to 27 depending on how much you fill the cases)
- Cream butter until smooth - using a mixer.
- Add vanilla sugar gradually and beat until fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating in each one before adding the next.
- Remove bowl from mixer.
- Add flour in 3 parts, alternating with the milk and vanilla. Blend well, but do not overbeat.
- Spoon into cupcake cases. Fill to about 3/4 full.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes.
- Cool in tins for 15 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely before icing.
* Australian tablespoons measure 20mls.
** Vanilla sugar is made by putting a used (split) vanilla bean into the sugar container.
ICING - Royal Icing
- 1 egg white, room temperature
- pinch cream of tartar
- 1 1/2 c pure icing sugar, sifted
- 1 tsp (5ml) lemon juice
- Lightly beat egg white in small bowl of electric mixer.
- Add icing sugar, 1 spoon at a time.
- Add lemon juice.
- Cover tightly with cling film to prevent hardening.
- 250g butter, softened
- 6-8c pure icing sugar, sifted
- 1/2c milk, room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- food colouring (optional)
- Beat butter in large bowl of a mixer until whipped.
- Add 4c of icing sugar.
- Add milk and vanilla.
- Beat, on medium speed, until smooth and creamy - about 5 minutes.
- Gradually add remaining 2-4c icing sugar, 1c at a time until desired consistency is reached. May not need to use all of the icing sugar.
- Optional - tint icing using a few drops of food colouring and mix thoroughly.
Icing can be stored in an air-tight container for up to 3 days.
It won't go sour given the amount of sugar inside it.