09 January 2014

Word Crucifixion

There are some words that make it into the vernacular that I strongly object to.  Random.
a "random" find at the Daylesford Sunday market
I desperately want to stop this post right here and not risk giving any credibility to this ugly distortion of the word, but I can't.  Somewhere along the way it has morphed from an innocent adjective into a noun - for pity's sake!!
a "random" find on my computer
A few years ago now, my sister and I ventured north into the charming but dusty town of Castlemaine in central Victoria to watch my niece participate as a bridesmaid in her first bridal party.  As such we were keen to wait in the foyer of the Church, eager to see her enter and walk down the aisle ahead of her best friend.  An over-zealous friend of the bride and usher was continually asking us to enter the Church along with all the other guests, even though she knew and, we thought, understood our reasons for wanting to wait until the bridal procession had passed us by.  Photo and bragging opportunities.

She referred to us as "randoms".  Hmph!!

No comments:

Post a Comment